- Boards & Committees
- Youth Representative on Town Committees
Youth Representative on Town Committees
The Town is currently accepting applications. The deadline to submit an application is April 28 at 4 pm. See below for additional details and to apply.
The Town of Farragut Board of Mayor and Aldermen recognize the vital role that our young citizens play in the Town and resolved to develop an initiative to engage students in local government.
The Board approached the Farragut Education Relations Committee to help develop a youth engagement initiative. Recognizing youth opinions can help to shape the Town, the committee developed an initiative to have a youth member serve on various Town Committees.
The selected candidate will be expected to take part in all discussions and interact with the fellow committee members; however, due to legal constraints the youth member will not have a formal vote. The selected candidates will serve a term of one year on each committee listed below except for the Farragut Education Relations Committee youth appointment which is for a two-year term.
- Must be a Junior or Senior student (this includes private and home schooled students). Applicant must live in the Town of Farragut or must be a student of one of the schools in Farragut.
- Candidates must have reliable transportation to and from the meetings and are expected to attend all scheduled meetings
- If a committee meets during school hours the student must receive permission from his/her school to attend the scheduled meetings
- A letter of recommendation from your school's principal, teacher, or guidance counselor (must upload with online application)
- Interview: The Town or certain committees may desire to conduct an informal interview to get to know each candidate before appointment
Please note that appointments to the Arts and Beautification Committee, Farragut Museum Committee, Farragut Tourism / Visitor Advisory Committee, Parks and Athletics Council, Planning Commission, Stormwater Advisory Committee and the Visual Resources Review Board are one-year appointments; appointment to the Farragut Education Relations Committee is a two-year appointment.
Application Process:Please review the list of eligible committees above to determine which committees best align with your interests / schedule, then discuss with your parents, teacher, guidance counselor and/or principal. You will need a letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor or principal in order to complete the application process. If you would like to serve on a committee that meets during regular school hours, please contact your school's administration to receive permission prior to submitting an application.
Once you obtain a letter of recommendation and any permissions from your school's administration that you may need, you will submit a digital application and upload your letter of recommendation during an open application period. An application cannot be accepted without a letter of recommendation. Following the close of the application period, each committee will appoint the student to serve as the youth representative at the next committee meeting. Each student will be notified regarding the status of his/her appointment.
The Town is currently accepting applications. The deadline to submit an application is April 28 at 4 pm. Each committee will vote on and appoint the student to serve as the youth representative at the next committee meeting following the application deadline. Each student will be notified regarding the status of his/her appointment. Please click "APPLY NOW" below to complete the application and upload your letter of recommendation.