Building & Fire Codes

To apply for a permit click the button above. For assistance, please call 1-866-957-3764, option 1, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Monday through Friday

Community Development Department Responsibilities

The Community Development Department is the combination of the Planning and the Code Enforcement Divisions. Comprehensive services within both of these divisions are provided to citizens, businesses, builders, and developers. The department evaluates issues relative to development occurring within the Town. The Planning staff is primarily responsible for administering the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, and applicable sections of the Municipal Code.

Photo of Community Development staff.

Code Enforcement Division

The Code Enforcement staff is primarily responsible for the enforcement of the adopted building, plumbing, gas/mechanical, housing, swimming pool and fire codes and provides support to the Board of Plumbing and Gas/Mechanical Examiners. 

Division Services

  • Assistance to Citizens - Codes officers investigate citizen complaints about violations of Farragut's Municipal Code and Zoning Ordinance. The staff also answers general questions about remodeling projects or new construction from Farragut residents.
  • Review of all Commercial, Office and Residential Construction Plans - All commercial, office and residential construction plans are reviewed to ensure they meet minimum code requirements (please see Adopted Code Information above for the current requirements). 
  • Permits - Various permits are required for all new construction and a vast majority of remodeling, both commercial and residential. Information about the required permits and the associated fees is available in the Codes Office to help builders and homeowners through the construction process.
  • Inspections - Codes officers conduct the following inspections, by appointment, with a one-day turnaround: footers, slab/energy, plumbing slab, crawl/basement (prior to main floor sub-flooring being installed), framing, rough-in gas/mechanical and plumbing, energy/insulation, final gas/mechanical, and final building for occupancy. A blower door test conducted by a third party is required and the testing results shall be provided to the Codes Office. All permit fees must be paid before an inspection can be scheduled. Call the codes office for an appointment. Electrical inspections are performed by Lenoir City Utilities Board and must be scheduled by calling (865) 986-6591.
  • Fire and Safety Inspections - Annual inspections of commercial buildings for fire and safety codes are conducted through a joint agreement between the Town and Rural/Metro Inc. These inspections occur on a scheduled basis or when there is a change in occupancy in a building. New commercial plans are reviewed, and construction is inspected to ensure compliance with fire codes. For information about burn permits, please click here.   
  • Licensing for Plumbing and Gas / Mechanical Contractors - The Town of Farragut requires all plumbing and gas/mechanical contractors performing work in the Town of Farragut to be licensed and to obtain permits for any work being done in Farragut. Application packets are available from the Farragut Codes Enforcement Division and require a review by the Board of Plumbing and Gas/Mechanical Examiners. NOTE: A Manual "J" report shall be submitted with all mechanical permit applications. No permit will be issued without a Manual "J" report.

To sign up for our quarterly newsletter, click the Sign Up Now button below:

Sign Up Now