Youth Representative on Town Committees
The Town of Farragut Board of Mayor and Aldermen recognize the vital role that our young citizens play in the Town and resolved to develop an initiative to engage students in local government.
The Board approached the Farragut / Knox County Schools Education Relations Committee to help develop a youth engagement initiative. Recognizing youth opinions can help to shape the Town, the committee developed an initiative to have a youth member serve on various Town Committees.
The selected candidate will be expected to take part in all discussions and interact with the fellow committee members; however, due to legal constraints the youth member will not have a formal vote. The selected candidates will serve a term of one year.
The application process is simple. Review the list of committees below to get a feel of what they do and the times/dates they meet to ensure they sync with your schedule. Once you determine which committee aligns best with your interests and schedule, discuss with your parents/teacher/guidance counselor/principal. You will need a letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor/teacher/principal in order to complete the application process. Position vacancies are noted below next to each committee name.
Once you decide on a committee and obtain a letter of recommendation, you can then return to this page and click "APPLY NOW" at the bottom of the page to submit a digital application and upload your letter of recommendation. The Town will then contact you with additional instructions/information.
Economic Development Advisory Committee - position vacant
Museum Committee - position vacant; will be appointed at the June 26 meeting
Farragut / Knox County Schools Education Relations Committee - position vacant; will be appointed at the August 7 meeting
Parks and Athletics Council
Stormwater Advisory Committee
Visual Resources Review Board
- Must be a Junior or Senior student (this includes private and home schooled students). Applicant must live in the Town of Farragut or must be a student of one of the Farragut Schools.
- Candidates must have reliable transportation to and from the meetings and are expected to attend all scheduled meetings
- If a committee meets during school hours the student must receive permission from his/her school to attend the scheduled meetings
- A letter of recommendation from your school's principal, teacher, or guidance counselor (must upload with online application)
- Interview: The Town or certain committees may desire to conduct an informal interview to get to know each candidate before appointment